How to View Hours Played on a PS5
Nowadays, many video game consoles will keep track of how many hours you’ve played for every game you own. As part of the latest generation of consoles, the PS5 will also record how long you’ve spent on games. However, you won’t see the time played on the main menu.
To see your total game time, you’ll have to open a different window. Thankfully, doing so is very straightforward. Keep reading to find out how many hours you’ve devoted to your latest game.
PS5: How to Check Hours Played
If you’re a frequent gamer and aren’t sure how many hours you’ve spent playing Call of Duty, the console itself has a built-in tracker. Every time you launch a game and leave it running, the PS5 starts counting the hours. Eventually, you’ll rack up thousands of hours without knowing.
Usually, the total played hours isn’t visible when you want to play your games. Therefore, you’ll have to head to the proper location to find out your user information. Here’s what to do:
- Turn on your PS5.
- Click on your profile icon at the top-right corner.
- Open your Profile.
- Go to the Games tab between Friends and Overview.
- Scroll down to your list of games.
- Under each game’s title is the last time you played it and how many hours you’ve amassed.
- When you’re done checking, you can exit the profile menu.
To the right of each game’s title are also game progress percentages and trophies earned. If you’re a completionist, you can enter this menu and determine how much progress is left before hitting 100%.
Another detail not apparent to many users is that if you’re using your older PSN account that has recorded gameplay on your PS4, you can also find that information on your PS5. Yes, you can keep your old statistics even after getting rid of your PS4.
Thus, if you’re trying to prove you have 2,000 hours on Minecraft for PS4, for example, you can log into your PSN account on PS5. The steps above will work as long as you played on the same account on both consoles. Even if Minecraft isn’t installed on the newer console, it’s still possible to find your hours played.
Checking a Friend’s Play Time
The PS5 also lets players check how much their friends have played their games. The steps are pretty similar to finding your own. This time, you’ll be opening another menu.
To find out how many hours your friends have on their games, try these instructions:
- Turn on your PS5.
- Move your cursor to the top-right corner.
- Select your profile icon.
- Head to the Friends tab this time.
- Pick a friend to check.
- Go to your friend’s Games tab.
- Scroll down and see how long they’ve played Rocket League or any other game.
- Repeat for other friends if you wish.
Beyond satisfying your curiosity, checking your friend’s playtime doesn’t do much. It does explain why they’re good at a game, though.
Setting Play Time Controls for PS5
If you’re a parent, you’ll likely be concerned if your child has too many hours on a video game. Fortunately, if your child is on a child account, you can limit their playtime. There are a few requisites for this:
- You need your own PSN account.
- You must be your child’s account manager or guardian.
- The child’s account must belong to your family member.
- The account must have time zones set beforehand.
There are three ways to limit your child’s playtime, such as:
- Restricting playtime
- Setting when playtime ends
- Establishing duration and playable hours
There are also two ways to set playtime. One will work on your browser, and the other with a PS5.
We’ll take a look at using the web browser first.
- Sign in to your PlayStation family manager account.
- Select your child’s family account.
- Click on Edit next to the playtime limit.
- Adjust how long your child can play their games.
- Save your settings after you’re done.
As for using a PS5, it’ll go like this:
- On your PS5, sign in to your family manager or guardian account.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Select Family And Parental Controls and then pick Family Management.
- Open your child’s account from the list.
- Set a time zone before choosing Play Time Settings.
- After managing the child’s playtime, apply the changes by pressing Save.
With these restrictions active, you can prevent your children from playing video games for too long. Checking your child’s account’s play hours with the methods listed above may make this a more straightforward decision.
When the account is reaching the end of playtime, they’ll receive a notification to save and quit before the time ends. As the manager or guardian, you can set the PS5 to log them out once playtime is over.
Why Is Play Time Important?
Being able to check your own playtime is crucial, as you can remind yourself to play another game or stop playing too much each day. When you realize you’ve been spending too much time on a game, it’s time to spend those hours on something else.
Even though you might not get to do much with knowing how long you’ve spent on a game, it could be a comfort when you find out. On the other hand, you could also use your 3,000 hours as bragging rights.
Can You Hide Games From Other Players?
Yes, you can. You can do so by heading to the privacy menu and picking the option. You’ll see a list of all your games installed.
Once you see the list, all that’s left to do is toggle the switches on. Doing so will prevent friends or other players from seeing any activity related to the game, including hours played.
It’s Been That Long?
While it’s not established whether the PS5 counts idling as playtime, finding out you’ve spent hundreds or thousands of hours on a game can be helpful. Parents can use that information to decide whether their children need limited game time. As for adults, they can also choose to switch games or stop playing for a while.
What are your most played games? Do you set playtime restrictions for your children? Let us know in the comments section below.