How to Open a HEIC File
Apple’s HEIC file format allows users to enjoy high-quality photos while compressing them more efficiently. However, the HEIC format works best with iOS 11 products, so accessing them through other devices can be challenging.
Fortunately, there are a few steps you can take to make the most out of your images. This article will explain how to open your HEIC files in a stress-free way.
How to Open a HEIC File in Photoshop
Your PC’s Photoshop program is a handy photo editing tool that allows you to manage all of your HEIC files. When it comes to JPEG, SVG, and PNG files, Photoshop will open these formats. Before you successfully access the files through Photoshop, you’ll need to convert the files into a Photoshop-supported format.
Thanks to online photo converters like iMobie Converter, the entire process is relatively straightforward.
- Access the iMobie HEIC Converter site.
- Select the image format quality from the drop-down menu on the top-right.
- Press “Click to Select” to upload the files you want to convert. Alternatively, drag the files from your desktop and folders and drop them into the grey upload field.
- Once the conversion is finished, download the images onto your PC.
- Right-click the downloaded files and tap the “Open with Photoshop” option from the menu.
Your Photoshop program will now be able to open the images successfully.
How to Open a HEIC File on Mac
As Mac’s older version doesn’t come with default support for the HEIC format, you won’t be able to view them directly unless you’re using the macOS High Sierra version. However, there are three ways you can get around this issue. The first involves using a specialized tool to connect your iOS 7 device to your Mac and view the photos on the desktop.
- Download the iMyFone TunesMate app onto your Mac.
- Connect your iOS 11 tablet to the Mac and launch the app.
- Select the “Photos” card at the top of the desktop.
- Choose the image folder you want to open from the menu bar.
- Go through the thumbnail until you find the photo you want to preview, then click to open.
The second way to open a HEIC file on a MAC is with Dropbox.
- Make sure that you have Dropbox installed on your iOS tablet.
- Open the iOS Dropbox app and upload the HEIC files onto your account.
- Download and launch Dropbox on your Mac.
- Choose the uploaded folder.
You should be able to see all the HEIC images in the folder on your Mac’s desktop.
Another option to view HEIC files on your Mac is the iMobie HEIC Converter. This is how to use this free third-party service:
- Open the iMobie HEIC Converter page from your Mac web browser.
- Pick the image format and quality in the top-right corner of the site.
- Press the “Click to Select” button to upload files. You can also drag images from your desktop or folders and drop them into the upload box.
- Once the conversion is complete, download the files.
The image viewing programs on your Mac should now read and open the files.
How to Open a HEIC File on iPhone
If your iPhone operates on iOS 11 or later versions, simply changing a few settings will enable the device to read HEIC formatted files. To adjust the settings:
- Open the iOS Setting app.
- Select the “Camera” tab, then choose “Formats.”
- Tap the “high efficiency” tab to enable HEIC file viewing.
The process is a bit different when using an iPhone with iOS 10 or an earlier version. You won’t need any additional software, but you’ll use the Files and Photo app to convert and open the images.
First, open your iPhone’s File app and follow these instructions:
- Click the “On My iPhone” storage tab.
You can also choose to transfer the files to a cloud storage service. However, the images may not always be available offline.
- Press and hold the blank space, then choose the “New Folder” option in the pop-up window.
- Name the folder and “Done” in the top-right corner.
To continue the process, you’ll have to switch to the Photos app:
- Launch the Photos app and find the folder with the HEIC files. Click the “Select” card in the menu at the top of the screen.Select the HEIC files and tap the “Share” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose the “Copy Photos” card in the “Share sheet.”
The HEIC files will now be stored on the clipboard. To access them:
- Go back to the Files app and find the new folder.
- Once in the folder, and hold the empty space and click “Paste.”
The HEIC files will be transferred to the new folder in JPEG format, so you’ll be able to open them by simply tapping the images.
How to Open a HEIC File in Preview
The Preview app on your Mac is an excellent option for viewing HEIC files without downloading additional software. When the HEIC images are stored on your Mac, here’s how to use Preview to access them:
- Right-click on the HEIC image.
- Select “Open With” from the pop-up menu.
- Choose the “Preview” tab.
This action will launch the Preview app. Preview will then read and open your HEIC file.
How to Open a HEIC File Online
Many online tools will help you convert a HEIC file into a format supported by your device. The HEIC Online website allows you to change files into a JPEG or PNG format. To do so:
- Open the HEIC Online site through your web browser.
- Tap the “Add HEIC files” button to upload your images. You can also drag them from the desktop or folders and drop them into the input field.
- Beneath the input box, choose the conversion format and select “Convert.”
Depending on the format you’ve selected, you’ll be able to open the HEIC files as either JPEG or PNG photos.
How to Open a HEIC File Windows 7
Windows 7 operating systems don’t support HEIC file extensions, but you can resolve this problem by using third-party software like CopyTrans HEIC. Here’s how to use this tool to access HEIC images on your Windows 7 computer:
- Use your browser to visit the CopyTrans website.
- Tap the “Download” button and install the plugin.
- Double-click the HEIC file to open it in Windows Photo Viewer.
If your PC typically uses the Photos app to view images, you’ll need to adjust your settings so that CopyTrans can work properly.
- Right-click on your image and choose the “Properties” tab.
- Select the “Change” option.
- Select “Windows Photo Viewer.”
The CopyTrans software allows the Windows Photo Viewer app to access images formatted as HEIC.
How to Open a HEIC File on Chromebook
Chromebook users can also access their HEIC files. The first method involves using your Google Photos to store the HEIC images. Here’s how to save the images in the JPG format on your Chromebook:
- Use your Chromebook to enter Google Photos.
- Tap the HEIC file to preview it.
- Click the “Share” button in the top-right corner and select “More.”
- Choose where on the Chromebook you want to store the file, and the image will be downloaded as a JPG file.
This is a relatively simple method, but the file will lose its quality.
Here’s how to open a HEIC file and preserve its quality:
- Enter Google Photos and tap a file to get a preview.
- Click and hold the “Ctrl” and “-” keys simultaneously. This action will zoom out the desktop.
- Right-click the file and choose the “Save image as” option to download it as a JPG photo.
Completely zooming out keeps the HEIC file in its sharpest resolution. You can now open the file as a JPG image with the quality of a HEIC file.
HEIC Across All Devices
High-quality images are a form of artwork that should be enjoyed regardless of the device or app you’re using. Accessing HEIC files doesn’t have to be a challenging process. Hopefully, this article has explained how to make the most out of your HEIC files by viewing them on different devices.
Which device do you use to open HEIC images? Which method do you prefer? Let us know in the comments section below.