How To Clip YouTube Videos for Social Media
Have you ever wanted to share a small part of a YouTube video with friends? For short videos, this isn’t a problem. All you need to do is send the link. But what if you only want to share a small segment of a video? It’s inconvenient if it’s 15 minutes long but the part you’re interested in is only 10 seconds and it’s buried in the middle.
Fortunately, this problem is easily solved. You can splice out the segment you want and share only that part. In this article, we’ll discuss what a YouTube Clip is and how to make and share it.
How to Clip YouTube Videos for TikTok or Instagram
If you see a portion of a YouTube video that is perfect for your TikTok or Instagram account, there’s a way you can post it to both TikTok and Instagram. Be aware that TikTok and Instagram work best with videos in portrait layout. Many YouTube videos are landscape, which is a different aspect ratio.
Using a YouTube Clip to post to TikTok or Instagram requires a few different steps. You’ll first have to create the YouTube Clip, but since the Clip is simply a URL, you’ll then have to download it. To do so, you’ll need to be a YouTube Premium member. To further compound the issue, you’ll need to transfer the video to your mobile device, since it’s easier to upload videos from your phone to TikTok and Instagram.
Step 1: Create a YouTube Clip
- Using your PC or Mac, log in to your YouTube account.
- Locate the video you want to clip.
- Click on the “Clips” icon located just under the video.
- A new window will open. Give the Clip a title by typing in the text field.
- Using the slides, drag them to the starting and ending points of what you want to clip. You can also type in the start and end times.
- Select “Share clip.”
- Choose “Copy” to save the new URL into your clipboard.
Step 2: Download the Clip to Your Computer
- Paste the copied URL into a browser and hit enter.
- The Clip will open on YouTube.
- Tap the word “Download,” give it a name, and navigate to where you’d like to save it on your computer, then press “OK.”
Step 3: Transfer Video to Your Phone
- Go to WeTransfer and follow the onscreen instructions on how to transfer a file.
- Use your personal email address for the “Send to” field.
- Launch your email app on your phone, open the WeTransfer email, and tap on the enclosed link.
- Download the video to your phone’s camera reel.
- Go to TikTok or Instagram and upload the video.
How to Clip YouTube Videos on PC
An easy way to share a portion of a video is by using the Clip tool. With it, you can create a new URL that only plays the part of a video that interests you. Clips must be at least 5 seconds long but no longer than a minute. This is how you do it.
- Go to YouTube and sign in to your account.
- Locate and watch the video you want to clip.
- You’ll see the “Clips” icon in the bar under the video if it’s available to clip.
- Click on the “Clips” icon. A “Create Clip” window will open.
- Name the Clip.
- Drag the sliders to the starting and ending points of what you want to save. You can also do this by inputting a start and end time.
- Tap on “Share clip.”
- Select which social media you’d like to share the clip with. You can also select “Copy,” which will save the video’s URL to your clipboard.
Be aware that your Clip won’t be available if the creator of the original video deletes it or makes it private. Only public YouTube videos will work for Clips that you create.
How to Clip YouTube Videos on Mac
Mac users can share portions of a video by using the Clip tool. Clips must be between 5 and 60 seconds long. Once clipped, you can share it on your favorite social media or save the link for later use. This feature will create a new URL that will only play the portion of the source video that you clipped. To clip a YouTube video, follow the instructions below.
- Navigate to YouTube and sign in with your credentials.
- Find the video you want to clip.
- Not all YouTube videos are available to clip. If it has the “Clips” icon under the video, then it is available for clipping.
- Tap the “Clips” icon. A new “Create Clip” window will open.
- Give the Clip a title by typing in the “Add a Title” field.
- Click and drag on the sliders to set the start and end points. You can also do this by typing in the start and end times.
- Select “Share clip.”
- You can tap on the available social media icons to share or select “Copy” to save the video’s URL in your clipboard.
It’s important to note that if the creator of the video that you took a clip from deletes or makes the video private, your Clip URL will be invalid.
How to Clip YouTube Videos Together
With the help of Flixier, you can merge YouTube videos, either ones you’ve clipped using the methods outlined in this article or those found on YouTube. There’s no need to first download the videos to your computer. With Flixier, all that’s required is a URL address. It’s cloud-based, so downloading and processing times are minimal. To learn how to clip YouTube videos together using Flixier, follow these steps.
- Go to YouTube and copy the URL of the video you want to use.
- Navigate to Flixier.
- Click on the blue “Choose Video” button.
- Hit “Import” and then select “Browse or Import from.”
- Paste in the YouTube link you just copied.
- Flixier will process the video. Once completed, it’ll be added to the timeline.
- Copy the link for the next YouTube video you’d like to use and return to Flixier and import the URL.
- Once you’ve added all of the videos, you can drag and drop them to change their positions in the video.
- To save the file, click “Export,” located in the upper-right corner.
- Using the drop-down menu, select “Export and Download.”
Once your file is downloaded to your computer, you can upload it to your favorite social media platform. Flixier doesn’t require a subscription or even an account. You can also add creative transitions, text, and audio. If you’d like, you can shorten each video clip, cutting out sections you don’t want.
Clip the Best Part of YouTube Videos
By using YouTube’s clipping tool, you can create a new video that highlights the best 5 to 60 seconds of your favorite videos. YouTube will post it with a unique URL address that you can then share with friends or on social media. It’s as simple as selecting which part of the video you want to highlight, and takes no time at all.
Have you clipped a YouTube video? Did you use the same methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.