How to Change Your Phone Number in Zelle
Zelle allows you to send money to your friends and family with just a few taps, regardless of the financial institution they use. To get started, all you need is an email address or a telephone number. Needless to say, these two pieces of data must be correct and up-to-date.
If you’ve changed your phone number recently, you probably want to add it to your Zelle account. Unfortunately, this may involve more than just a few taps. Read on to find out how to change your Zelle phone number to continue using this popular digital payment network.
Changing Your Phone Number
Changing your phone number in Zelle might be a slightly different process in each banking app. Generally, you can add your new phone number by accessing your general settings or Zelle settings within the app. In some banking apps, however, you’ll first need to add your new phone number to your bank account separately before you can use it for Zelle. In others, you may be able to change your phone number right from the Zelle transfer screen. Below are the steps for some popular banking apps.
Capital One Zelle
If you’re using Capital One, you don’t need to download Zelle. You can access it right from the Capital One app home screen by tapping “Send Money with Zelle®.” To change your Zelle phone number, however, you’ll need to access your settings in the app.
- Launch the Capital One app.
- Tap “Profile” at the bottom.
- On the list, look for “Account & Feature Settings.” “Zelle® Settings” can be found near the bottom of the screen.
The email address and phone number you’re currently using for your Capital One Zelle account are displayed here. To change your current number, tap “Unlink.” If you want to add another number while keeping the old one, tap “Add New Email or Mobile Number.” You can manage your contact info separately for each of your accounts.
Similarly, you can use Zelle with Chase. To change your phone number in Chase, you’ll have to open your Chase settings.
- Open the Chase app and tap the profile icon in the top right corner.
- Go to “My Settings.”
- You can change your phone number by tapping “Phone” on the next screen.
Wells Fargo Zelle
Zelle is also built into the Wells Fargo app. To change your Zelle number in Wells Fargo, you first need to add your number to your Wells Fargo profile. Here are the steps to follow:
- Launch the Wells Fargo app and tap the “Menu” button.
- Tap “My Profile.”
- Then choose “Contact Information” under Profile Settings.
- You can add a new phone number by tapping “Phone Numbers.”
Once you’ve added the number, you have to enable it in Zelle.
- Go back to the Wells Fargo app home screen and click “Pay & Transfer”.
- Tap “Send Money with Zelle®.”
- The next screen “Accept” the Terms & Conditions.
- Select the phone number you want to send.
You can also disable the phone number you no longer use on the same screen.
Do I have to keep my phone number up-to-date on Zelle?
If you’ve only connected your Zelle with your phone number, then yes. The exact money-sending process may differ slightly from app to app. However, many banking apps maintain an extra level of security with the help of verification each time you send money. This verification typically involves requesting a code that you’ll receive in a text message. Without an up-to-date phone number, you won’t be able to send money.
That said, you can also use Zelle with your email address. Make sure an up-to-date email address is connected to your Zelle account.
Why can’t I register my phone number?
If you’ve run into an issue while adding your phone number to your Zelle account, there are three possible explanations:
· You’re already using this phone number for a different Zelle account – Hundreds of financial institutions are enrolled with Zelle. If you’re using several banks, check whether you may have already registered for Zelle at a different institution. To use your phone number with your new Zelle account, you need to remove it from the previous account first. If you don’t know where you may have enrolled your number, Zelle support will be able to help you out.
· Your phone number is enrolled with clearXchange – Your phone number won’t be eligible if it’s already enrolled with clearXchange. To solve this problem, deactivate your clearXchange profile.
· You’re trying to register a non-U.S. number – You won’t be able to register a non-U.S. telephone number as Zelle is only available in the U.S.
How many phone numbers can I add to my Zelle account?
You don’t have to remove your old phone number to add your new one if you’re still using it. In most cases, you’ll be able to add two U.S. telephone numbers to your Zelle. The numbers mustn’t be registered with a different Zelle account. Similarly, you can also add two to four email addresses to your contact info depending on your bank.
Keep Your Info Accurate and Up-to-Date
Zelle offers an easy solution to our money-transferring needs, so don’t let an obsolete phone number get in your way. Change your phone number in your banking app or Zelle settings. If you can’t add your phone number, check whether you might have already enrolled it with Zelle.
Have you ever tried to change your phone number in Zelle? Did you use any of the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.