How to Add a New Phone to Okta
Okta’s identity management service has helped thousands of HR and IT teams increase productivity and security. The Okta software works well on Android and iOS devices, but setting up a new phone can be challenging. Since Okta won’t automatically grant you access to your apps and data, it’s necessary to set up your account on the new phone. Fortunately, the process is relatively straightforward.
Keep reading to learn more.
How to Add a New Android Phone
Installing Okta might not connect the device to your user account if you’ve got a new phone. Before reconnecting to your Okta account, make sure you’ve logged out of the Okta Verify app on your old phone. You can also log out from the company’s dashboard by going to the “Settings” tab.
Once you’ve made the necessary preparations, you can link the new phone and your Okta account. The process consists of three steps. First, you have to access the Okta Verify app or ensure you have a pre-established security method. Once you receive a security code, you need to download the app on the new device and link it to your user account.
Adding a new smartphone requires access to the Okta-End User Dashboard. If you meet one of the following criteria, you should have no difficulty accessing the dashboard:
- The Okta Verify app works on your old smartphone.
- Although you’ve downloaded the Okta Verify app, you’ve also set up another security method. This can be SMS, Biometric Authenticator, email, etc.
Users who are uncertain whether they have any other security methods can check by pasting the login URL address in their internet browser. When you log in and press the tiny arrow next to the “Verify” icon, you’ll see which additional protection methods are available. If you can’t spot the arrow, click on “Verify with something else” to view potential security measures.
- Users who fail to meet the above criteria should contact their company’s support team. Depending on the company, some users are allowed to add only one mobile device to their Okta account.
When you’re confident you can access the Okta Dashboard, you can move on and receive a new Okta Verify enrollment passcode. To do so:
- Sign in to the Okta dashboard from your internet browser. If you’re having trouble signing in with your credentials, reach out to your company’s support team to resolve the issue.
- Press the small arrow beside your username and navigate to “Settings.”
- If you see the “Edit Profile” option, click on it. Enter your password if Okta prompts you to do so.
- Scroll down until you reach “Extra Verification.” This section may sometimes appear as “Security Methods.” It will show up only if your company has enabled this option. If Okta Verify appears under “Security Methods, click on “Set up another” and select “Set up.”
- If Okta Verify appears under “Extra Verification,” tap “Remove,” and press the “Yes” button to confirm the decision.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Navigate to the Okta Verify tab and choose “Set up.”
- Pick your device and tap the “Next” button.
The enrollment passcode will pop up on your screen when you complete this action.
When you’ve got the code, you can connect your new device to Okta.
- Download the Okta Verify app from the Google Play Store on your new phone.
- Launch Okta Verify and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Select “Add account,” tap the kind of account you wish to add, and click on “Organization.”
- Pick the setup method.
- Scan the enrolment code from your old phone or PC.
- Enable biometrics if prompted by the app.
- Click on the “Done” button to complete connecting the new phone and your Okta account.
How to Add a New iOS Phone
If you’ve switched to a new iPhone, you’ve probably lost access to work resources since Okta doesn’t recognize new devices. Before you add the iOS device to your Okta account, log out of the Okta verify app on your old device. If you don’t have the phone anymore, you can log out using the “Settings” tab from your company’s dashboard.
Adding a new iPhone to Okta is a three-step process. First, you’ll check whether you meet the security measure criteria and receive a QR code. The code will allow you to activate Okta Verify on your new device.
Connecting a new mobile phone to Okta requires access to the Okta Dashboard. Before installing the Okta app on your new iPhone, make sure you meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You’ve downloaded Okta Verify on your previous iPhone, and the app is working.
- You have another protection method. It may be SMS, Security Key, email, etc.
Users who are unsure whether they’ve established an additional security check should paste the login URL into a web browser. After you log in, press the small arrow or pick “Verify with something else” to view available security measures.
- If you haven’t established other security measures or are struggling to assess the dashboard, contact your company’s support team. Some businesses only allow employees to add one phone to their Okta account.
When you’re sure you can access the dashboard, you can move on to the next step and get an enrollment code.
- Sign in to the Okta Dashboard from your web browser. If the software doesn’t accept your credentials, reach out to your company’s support team to fix the problem.
- Press the tiny arrow beside your username and head to “Settings.”
- Tap “Edit profile” and type your login information if prompted by Okta.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and find “Extra Verification.” This section may also show up as “Security Methods.”
- If the “Okta Verify” option appears under “Security Methods,” pick “Set up another,” and press “Set up.”
- If the “Okta Verify” option appears under “Extra Verification,” select “Remove,” and click on “Yes.”
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- Navigate to the Okta Verify section and choose “Set up.”
- Select your device from the list of options and click on “Next” to view the passcode.
You can add the new device to Okta when you receive the code.
- Download the Okta Verify app from the Apple Store on your new phone.
- Open the app and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Select “Add Accounts” and select the account you’re adding.
- Press “Organization” and choose your preferred setup method.
- Scan the enrollment code with your iPhone’s camera.
- Enable Face or Touch ID is prompted by the app.
- If the “Set up multifactor authentication” screen appears, click on “Finish.” Not all users will see this screen.
You can now use Okta Verify on your new mobile device without issue.
Can I add my new phone to Okta if I don’t have my old device?
Without your old device, it’s difficult to connect a new phone to your Okra account. It’s only possible if you’ve set up another verification measure such as SMS or email. If you haven’t established another method, reach out to your company support team for additional guidance.
Why can’t I add a new phone to the Okra Verify App?
If you’re having trouble setting up a new mobile device, go back to the Google Play Store or the Apple Store and make sure you’ve downloaded the latest version of Okta Verify. Also, go to the phone’s “Settings” and ensure the time and date are set to “automatic.”
Add a New Mobile Device With Ease
Okta simplifies accessing work resources, and switching to a new mobile device shouldn’t be complicated. Whether you’re an Android or iOS user, you can add your device to your Okta account and complete any work assignment successfully.
Have you used Okta before? If so, on which device? Did you switch phones while using the software? Let us know in the comments section below.